Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions About Arrest Records And Record Restriction

Q. If I entered a plea or paid a fine on one charge, can my other charges that were filed on the same day and dismissed, be removed?
A. No. If you entered a plea or paid a fine on any charge, your arrest for those charges cannot be restricted.

Q. If my conviction is very old, can it be restricted?
A. No. The record restriction process does not cover convictions in State Court and Superior Court, no matter the age. 

Q. Where should I file my record restriction application?
A. Your record restriction application must be filed with the arresting (law enforcement) agency.

Q. What if my charges are misdemeanor charges?
A.  If your charges are misdemeanor charges, please contact State Court at 404-612-4800. 

Q. My case is very old. Where do I obtain a disposition?
A. Follow these steps:

  1. If the charge was a felony, check first with the Clerk of Superior Court’s Office. You may be able to access and order an electronic copy of the disposition.
  2. If the charge was a misdemeanor, contact the Fulton County State Court’s Office. If your case was handled by a Municipal (city) Judge or Magistrate, check the local jurisdiction first.  (Atlanta, Milton, East Point, Union City, College park etc.)
  3. If your case was dismissed by the District Attorney’s Office, contact the Customer Service line at 404-612-4887 or

Q. My job has given me a deadline to get this completed, can my application process be expedited?
A. Applications are processed in the order in which they are received. Unfortunately they cannot be expedited.

Q. I received First Offender but it’s still on my record. What can I do?

A. If you received an Order of First Offender Discharge, take it to the Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) located at 3121 Panthersville Road, Decatur, GA 30037. Your GCIC can be sealed. Please note, public records in the Clerk's Office will not be sealed without a Court order.

Q. How can I find out if my application was received?

A. First contact the arresting agency to see if your application has been forwarded to our office. It is always a good idea to find out the date it was mailed it to us. Once you have verified that it has been sent over, you can expect a response from the District Attorney's Office within sixty (60) to ninety (90) days.

Q. How can I find out if my application was approved?
A. Your application packet will be processed in the order in which it was received. You will be contacted, via mail, once it has been approved or denied.  

Q. My application was denied due to not completing PTI but I did and I have my PTI completion form.
How can I rectify this?
A. If you were ordered to complete PTI and have your completion form but somehow did not submit it with your application, please see your PTI coordinator.  You will NOT have to pay another fee to the arresting agency.

Q. Once, and if, my application is approved, what is my next step?

A. If you receive an approval, the final step to complete the record restriction (expungement) process is to take your approved application along with a $25.00 money order to Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC). GCIC is located at 3121 Panthersville Road, Decatur, GA 30037. Please call for their hours of operation (404) 244-2639.

Q. What is the Criminal Record Restriction contact number?
A.  If the above does not answer your question, the contact number for the Criminal Record Restriction Division is 404-613-4936. 

  • Home
  • Careers
  • FAQs
  • Media Access
  • Contact Us